Monday, December 18, 2017

I want to do hypnosis. Should I go to just any psychologist?

July 22, 2012 by relax  
Filed under Hypnosis Questions & Answers

Question by polymedes: I want to do hypnosis. Should I go to just any psychologist?
Is there anything I should be aware of, before going to a psychologist for a hypnosis session?
For example, what is the difference, with respect to hypnosis, between a psychologist, a psychiatrist and a psychotherapist?

Are there any “signs” in the CV of a hypnotist that I would want to notice?

Best answer:

Answer by oyearun
u can download self hypnosis material from internet…

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

share save 171 16 I want to do hypnosis. Should I go to just any psychologist?

Related posts:

  1. Q&A: How can one find a Psychologist that performs hypnosis?
  2. Q&A: How to find a hypnotist, therapist, psychologist or anyone else who could create a multiple personality?
  3. Q&A: How does the hypnosis memory/concentration improvement process work?
  4. Are certain types of people more susceptible to hypnosis?
  5. Hypnosis: How do you know you reached it?


7 Responses to “I want to do hypnosis. Should I go to just any psychologist?”
  1. Preacher of Light says:

    You don’t give any info on why you want this. They do not always work, but it’s your money.

  2. Urban Huntress says:

    Well, not all psychologists can do hypnosis, and not all hypnotherapists are psychologists. So if you want both, you can contact the psychologists professional association and ask them to refer you to one of their members who practices hypnosis.

    If you decide on a hypnotherapist, which is likely to cost you less, make sure they are board certified or accredited therapists (call their professional association and ask).

    When shopping for a therapist, always feel free to ask for credentials. See what their specialties are, and how they conduct the sessions. It’s important that you feel comfortable with them and their approach.

    Good luck!

  3. icar36 says:

    I’d be curious to know why you so want to go for a hypnosis session?

    It is for the practitioner to decide if your case would benefit from it… and as mentioned already, you can check a practitioner’s specialisation and lenght of experience in his field by simply asking him/her.

  4. DrBill says:

    The first thing you need to find out is if they were actually trained in hypnosis. This is not something that is taught in most programs. Nest you need to find out if they actually do hypnosis on a regular basis. You don’t want to try this with someone who was trained but does not use it on a regular basis.
    It does not really matter what the license is (MD, PsyD, PhD, LMFT) as long as they are trained.
    Good luck.

  5. Focused Hypnosis Sheffield says:

    I would try and find a well recommended hypnotherapist who lives in your area. Psychology can help in some cases sometimes but a psychologist who does hypnotherapy isn’t necessarily better than a hypnotherapist. Lots of psychologists see clients for years at a time and often don’t help the clients to make much progress with their condition (some do don’t get me wrong!) whereas hypnotherapy is a lot quicker in achieving results.
    “Signs” to look for in a good hypnotherapist: openness, willing to tell you about themselves, their qualifications and how they work. Do they offer a free initial consultation? Do they inspire a feeling of confidence in you?

  6. says:

    You need to go to a trained hypnotherapist, not a psychologist. Look for someone who has training in, specifically, Ericksonian hypnosis. Not just a plain old CHt designation (certified hypnotherapist). This designation is VERY easy to get and does not prove skill. Those therapists usually read scripts and don’t truly understand how to adapt their hypnotic skills to you, as an individual patient. Ericksonian hypnotists DO understand this.

    FYI, I trained under Dr. Mike Mandel – so I believe my advice is useful to you.

    Ask your hypnotist what experience he or she has with your type of problem.

  7. Dr. D. Star Reader says:

    You’ll want a professional who is trained in hypnosis. A psychologist, psychiatrist, or psychotherapist could be useful, depending on their training. Professionals in each area need to go for extra training to do hypnosis.
    Learn about hypnosis and how to choose a reputable hypnotherapist through the ASCH website (American Society of Clinical Hypnosis):

    Looking at a therapist’s CV might be useful, if you have access to that. Look for specific training in hypnosis, 20 hours is minimal for basic training and to be able to join ASCH.

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.